Eight Dimensions of Wellness
Wellness is the journey to achieve optimal levels of physical and mental health. Wellness is individualized and comprised of eight components that work together to create a whole, well person.
- Emotional Wellness: Effectively coping with life's ups and downs and creating meaningful and satisfying relationships with others.
- Environmental Wellness: Good health by occupying pleasant, stimulating environments. Environmental wellness extends beyond just "being green" but includes social and work environments.
- Financial Wellness: Satisfaction and security with your current and future financial circumstances. This may include debt management, budgeting, and smart investing.
- Intellectual Wellness: Active participation in scholastic, cultural, and community activities. Intellectual wellness also involves assimilating things learned in the classroom to real-world situations.
- Occupational Wellness: Personal satisfaction and enrichment from one's work. Maintaining a work-life balance.
- Physical Wellness: Maintaining a life filled with physical activity, nutritious foods, quality sleep, and avoiding high-risk behaviors like smoking.
- Social Wellness: Developing a strong sense of social connection, belonging, and support systems with others.
- Spiritual Wellness: Expanding a personal sense of purpose and living a meaningful life. Spiritual wellness is not the same as religious orientation.