Climbing Center Policies and Procedures
- All participants and visitors must complete and sign a liability waiver before participating in climbing activities
- Participants must check in at the climbing center desk and complete a waiver before gaining access to the climbing center
- Personal Belongings must be placed in lockers or cubbies provided
- Shoes must be worn within the climbing space at all times. (Bare feet is not permitted)
- No food or drink is permitted in the climbing center space. Only water in a reseal-able container will be allowed
- Personal headphones are not permitted within the Climbing Center Area
- Loose chalk is not permitted. All chalk must be contained in a chalk sock or chalk ball
- All bouldering activities must have appropriate spotters and crash pad placement
- It is the responsibility of the climber to secure a spotter before climbing
- Active spotting is required at all time for the bouldering arch
- Bouldering is not permitted above the designated bouldering limit
- “Topping out” on any boulder problem is not permitted unless otherwise authorized by Campus Recreation Staff.
Top Rope & Lead Climbing
- All roped climbers and belayers must wear a UIAA approved climbing harness the manufacture guidelines of said climbing harness
- Participants are permitted to use personal harnesses once approved by a climbing center staff member
- Participants accept all liability when using their personal harness
- All climbers must tie in using a figure-8 follow through knot when tying in to their harness
- Auto-Belays are permitted during normal operating hours under the condition that a staff member double checks the climber before usage.
- Free soloing is not permitted in any instance
- At no point should you climb past the belay bar you are climbing under
- At no point should a participant stand on the platforms intended for rappel set up
- All belayers must use an assisted braking device provided by EKU Campus Recreation
- Before every climb both the belayer and climber must conduct head to toe partner checks to make sure all appropriate equipment is on and used properly.
- Once the double check is complete, climbing commands must be used at all times
- “On Belay, Belay on. Climbing, Climb On”
- All belayers must display the requisite belay card for belaying
- All Belayers must first test out on either the facility Top Rope Belay or Lead Skills Assessment
- Belayers must keep an active belay, meaning that the belayer must watch their climber, manage slack in the system as to minimize fall distance, and generally communicate with their climber.
- All lead climbers must clip all quick draws properly (i.e. no back clipping or z-clipping)
- All Lead climbers must clip both quick draws at the end of a climb
- At no point should participants take falls intentionally larger than would traditionally occur in the route they are climbing.
- i.e. no victory whips, no leaving slack in the belay side of the rope, no skipping clips, no skipping anchor clips, etc.